10 Tips To Take Care Of Your Oral Health Naturally
Oral health is a vital part of the overall health strategy. Oral diseases are a significant health burden that affects approximately 3.5 billion people worldwide. Poor oral hygiene may result in tooth decay and permanent tooth loss. Various Ayurvedic tips may help you to take care of your oral health.
Why do You Need to Take Care of Your Oral Health and Hygiene?
Dentists often advise you about how to keep your oral health in pink. Optimum oral health or having good oral hygiene is a prerequisite for a high quality of life. Oral health not only means the absence of any disease but also includes efficient oral functioning such as eating, chewing, smiling, and communicating. There is a close correlation between our oral health and overall wellbeing. Ayurvedic oral care practices not only focus on maintaining good oral hygiene, but also focus on eliminating natural toxins from the mouth to aid in better taste perception, enhanced digestion and naturally healthier gums and teeth.
10 Natural and Ayurvedic Oral Care Tips and Best Practices
People often search for how to maintain oral hygiene. Following are the top 10 natural and Ayurvedic oral care tips that help in maintaining oral health:
1. Regular Brushing
- Brushing takes care of your teeth. Dentists generally recommend brushing twice a day while guiding about how to keep your teeth healthy. However, most of us do not follow this principle. It is worth noting that brushing at night helps in the natural cleansing of your teeth and gums from the accumulation that happens throughout the day.
- While brushing twice a day is necessary, it is also vital that you should use the right brush and follow the correct brushing technique to maximize its benefits and keep your teeth healthy. You must use a brush with soft bristles and an easy-grip handle. Do not brush hard and move it slowly in a circular direction to help in the cleansing of the accumulates on teeth.
2. Best oral hygiene practices
Various techniques help in maintaining the best oral hygiene. These include tongue scraping, oil pulling and flossing.
- Tongue scraping also called Jiwah Prakshalan is a necessary step in the oral hygiene process that takes care of oral thrush. It helps in keeping your tongue clean naturally. It also helps maintain the freshness in the mouth.
- Oil pulling or Kavala is an ancient Ayurvedic technique that helps maintain your oral health. In this technique, you need to swish the oil in your mouth for 20 minutes. It not only promotes oral health but also helps in natural cleansing. Traditionally, coconut oil, sesame oil or Arimedadi thailam are used for the oil pulling method.
- There are various places in the mouth where the bristles of a brush cannot reach. Flossing helps in removing the debris from those areas. You should perform flossing twice a day. If possible, add some essential oil to the flossing process. It promotes fresh breath and helps provide an antimicrobial effect.
Keeping an eye on your diet allows you to take care of your oral hygiene.
- Limit the quantity of sugary food in your diet. Bacteria present in the mouth convert the sugar into acids that erode the enamel over your teeth. It makes teeth weaker and vulnerable to plaque and decay.
- Too much acidic food in your diet also causes erosion of enamel. Foods that can damage your teeth include citrus fruits and juices, sticky foods such as dried snacks, potato chips, sugar candies, sports drinks and powdered fruit drinks.
Eat crunchy vegetables and fruits to make your jaws work as it enhances the strength of your teeth.
Various natural herbs are effective in maintaining oral hygiene. These herbs help sustain the natural strength of the teeth and promote good oral health. These include mainly neem, garlic, cloves, licorice and sesame.
- People use sticks of neem in the form of a natural toothbrush. It has various benefits due to its antibacterial properties.
- Clove has a special place in helping maintain oral hygiene. Clove has a potent antibacterial property that strengthens sensitive areas of the oral cavity.
- Teeth require a continuous supply of minerals to remain healthy. Chewing a small number of sesame seeds provides natural calcium, magnesium and zinc to the teeth.
- Licorice has a natural teeth-cleansing effect due to its property of maintaining proper salivation levels and takes good care of your teeth.
5. Care at Home
Various home care techniques are available that help in maintaining oral hygiene.
- Apply turmeric paste on gums to help keep them in their best state and help keep a check at the inflammation levels.
- Applying aloe vera or consuming triphala by mixing with water also supports your gum.
Sufficient hydration is necessary not only for the mouth but also for overall health.
- Drink enough water, especially after every meal. It will help in removing the sticky food and negate the effect of acidic foods and beverages.
- Saliva is necessary for digesting food, and it also protects teeth from decay. Dehydration may result in a low level of saliva.
7. Avoiding bad oral habits
Avoid the habits that have a degenerating effect on your teeth and compromise your oral hygiene.
- Avoid brushing immediately after drinking coffee or carbonated beverages. This is because brushing will eliminate the minerals that appear on the teeth surface due to the demineralizing effect of these substances. Let the minerals be re-mineralized by saliva. It takes around 30-60 minutes.
- Avoid using products containing tobacco and limit the consumption of alcohol.
- Avoid oral piercing as it may make you vulnerable to various oral disorders.
- Always keep on the oral guards while playing contact sports to protect yourself from injuries.
8. Natural tips
- Drinking a glass of water with added honey helps in maintaining your overall oral health.
- Various oral care supplements are available in the Kerala Ayurveda Store like Arimedadi thailam which is an oil that can be helpful in the oil pulling process.
Gargling is crucial to maintaining oral health.
- Perform gargles after every meal. Circulate the water in the mouth 2-3 times and spit it out. It will remove the food particles that stick between the teeth. You may also add common salt to the water.
- You may also use various Ayurvedic mouthwashes available in the market. Arimedadi Thailam is an oil pulling oil available in the Kerala Ayurveda Store.
Various yoga asana techniques improve dental health and prevent oral diseases.
- Sukshma yoga asana involves alternatively closing and opening the jaw. It helps in keeping your mouth healthy.
- Khechari Mudra helps maintain the normal functioning of the salivary glands and supports normal cleansing.
- Sheetkari Pranayama has a cooling effect and helps keep a check on inflammation levels.
- Other yoga asanas such as Matsyasana, Ardhamatsyendrasana, Sarvangasana, Paschimottanasana help in keeping the gums intact.
Ayurveda plays a critical role in maintaining oral care. Various herbs and Ayurvedic tips are effective in helping support proper oral hygiene and health. Brushing teeth regularly, taking a healthy diet, avoiding tobacco products, yoga and gargling can promote better oral health.
If you require more information on how to maintain your oral health, have questions like how do I take care of my teeth, or simply want to avail of some authentic Ayurvedic products to help you with oral health care, visit the Kerala Ayurveda Store for the Ayurvedic products related to oral care.