How To Increase Immunity With Ayurveda?
Immunity and health
There’s no inside or outside according to Ayurveda. Seasonal changes affect not just the weather, but also the health of people. Some people are particularly vulnerable and fall ill during changes of season. This problem worsens during spring and fall, causing allergies. In a household of five people, one suffers from allergies while others may not face this problem. Have you ever wondered why is it that all members of a household don’t fall ill when they eat the same food and stay in the same environment? The answer to this question is immunity!
Immunity refers to the ability to fight diseases. Everyone has an immune system in their body that fights diseases and overcomes viruses and bacteria. Those who have a strong immune system face no problems during the flu seasons, while those with weak immunity are more likely to fall ill. Once immunity is compromised, the body loses its ability to fight diseases. In such a situation, a wellness-based medical system like Ayurveda can be helpful. Herbal immune system boosters as recommended in Ayurveda can help improve your immunity.
Ayurveda and Immunity
Ayurveda is a 5000-year-old wellness system that has its origins in India. Ancient texts describe medicinal herbs to be used to treat diseases and improve health. Ayurveda uses the concept of Tridosha or three functional energies to explain diseases. Vata, Pitta, and Kapha are the three humors in your body present in varying proportions depending on your Prakriti or unique constitution. Any disruption in these proportions can cause health problems and diseases.
In Ayurveda, digestion is treated as a key metabolic process that helps in ensuring good health. Agni is the digestive fire, which according to Ayurvedic principles needs to be strong to ensure digestive strength. Agni may be weakened due to an imbalance in any of the Doshas. This can cause various health problems. A key by-product of digestion is Ojas: a substance that imparts vigor and vitality to the body and is considered responsible for immunity.
If digestion is impaired, it leads to a weak Ojas. This can weaken immunity and thus make the body susceptible to diseases. The factors that can cause weakened immunity are:
- An improper diet where unhealthy food is eaten that disturbs the energy balance.
- Consuming alcohol and smoking.
- Insufficient or poor sleep.
- Stress and tension.
- Dehydration and the use of chemical-based medicines like antibiotics and steroids.
Ayurveda uses a holistic approach to boost immunity. Apart from herbal immunity boosters, there are other natural ways too which one can use to boost immunity.
Inner peace and Immunity
Thanks to the modern fast-paced 21st-century lifestyle, every day comes packed with high levels of stress and tension. Constant stress weakens the mind and body resulting in impaired immunity. It is important to be able to reduce stress to ensure a positive impact on immunity. Inner peace helps a person be calm and able to handle any stressful situation without getting worked up. You can attain inner peace through meditation – which is one of the best Ayurvedic best practices to reduce stress.
Meditation focuses on being more mindful and improving your ability to take control of our life. Meditation involves being able to disconnect from the stress around you and look inward to find inner peace. Practicing meditation regularly can be very helpful in managing stress and boosting immunity. A simple way to meditate is to sit still, or even lie down, and simply focus on your breath entering and leaving your body. Remain still and focus only on your breath and remove all other thoughts from your mind. Practice this regularly and you will find yourself feeling relaxed and calm more often.
Easy tips to boost Immunity
The following Ayurvedic practices and tips can be followed to boost immunity. Note: it is suggested to consult a medical professional before taking any supplements.
- Diet plays a key role in being healthy and improving immunity. Eating nutritious food with a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits is recommended. It is best to minimize the intake of oily foods and opt for easy-to-digest, cooked food. Food must be cooked using spices like ginger, turmeric, garlic, fennel, and black pepper as they help in boosting immunity.
- It is important to strengthen your respiratory system during seasonal changes. Pranayama is a practice that helps in strengthening your lungs. These are breathing exercises, which when done regularly helps to boost immunity and also keeps you relaxed.
- Ayurvedic self massages (Abhyanga) can help reduce toxins in the body and help in balancing Doshas.
- Ayurveda has helped discover the best herbs that can serve as immunity boosters. These herbs are 100% natural, safe, and time-tested. Ayurvedic herbal immunity booster products are formulated as per the ancient texts to help boost wellness and improve resistance to diseases.
Some of the products you can consider using are:
- Ashwagandha tablets are prepared using Indian ginseng. This is a powerful anti-stress supplement that helps you manage stress and improve the strength of your immune system.
- Brahmi pearls are soft gel capsules that act as a rejuvenator for the mind. It helps in reducing stress and refreshes the mind.
- Guduchi is known as Amrutha or nectar. It is an herb that is well-known in Ayurveda for its immunity-boosting effects. It revitalizes your mind, body, and also improves the working of the digestive system.
- Ojas capsules are made from a traditional Ayurvedic formulation known as Dashamula (made from the roots of ten potent herbs). Ojas stands for vitality and these capsules help to build vitality by strengthening the immune system. It also helps in ensuring normal metabolism.
- Indukantha Ghritham is an herbalized ghee (clarified butter) that, when taken regularly, helps to enhance the working of the immune system, boosts your healthy energy levels, and improves digestion.
Good immunity is half the battle already won. By maintaining a high level of immunity in the body, you can rest assured knowing that your body has got your back when it comes to common allergies and ailments. Restore your natural immunity with Ayurvedic formulations available at the Kerala Ayurveda online store.