Indian gooseberry, also known as Amla, is a small, sour-tasting fruit that packs a nutritious punch. While it is extremely low in calories, Amla is high in vitamin C.
Plus, this wonder fruit has anti-inflammatory properties, it helps build Ojas (vitality), and nourishes the body.
It also contains a lot of fiber which can help maintain blood sugar levels. It also promotes healthy hair growth, due to which it is often used as a component in Ayurvedic hair care products.
The Indian gooseberry also has nutrients and antioxidants, making it great for maintaining your heart health. It also maintains skin health and can be used to detoxify the body. Given that Amla is one of the few foods that can help build Ojas, it can be consumed to slowly balance your immune system’s responses over time. If you want to enjoy the benefits of Indian gooseberry, it is advisable to consume it raw. If you find the flavor too sour, you could add it to a healthy salad, use it to make a smoothie, or eat it with yogurt. The benefits of Amla capsules are also plenty, so you can also consider consuming it like a supplement.
What are the Benefits Of Amla aka (Indian Gooseberry)
Ayurveda and Wellness
Ready for a truth bomb? 100 grams of lemon contains 75-80 mg of vitamin C, whereas 100 grams of raw Amla provides about 500 mg of vitamin C. Thus, Amla, aka the Indian Gooseberry, is a rich source of vitamin C. This Ayurvedic superfood has healing powers. One of the natural antioxidant-rich foods, Amla has myriad importance from helping maintain immunity to aiding people age gracefully. Do you know the mysterious functioning of Amla? Being a sour fruit, Amla has an immense advantage in soothing down the gut and tackling stomach imbalances and heartburn. Interesting, right?
Amalaki and Ayurveda
Have you ever wondered why pregnant or lactating women are recommended for Amla consumption? Due to its high vitamin C content, it aids in encouraging natural immunity and the ability of the body to absorb iron.
Apart from consuming Amla or Amalaki as a fruit, its herbal supplement – Amla capsules, benefit the body in the same manner. Amla helps in maintaining a strong Ojas – vigor and vitality of our body. In addition to that, its high antioxidant properties scavenge the free radicals and prevent early sagging and wrinkling of the skin. Let us have a look at how Amalaki capsules benefit the body in several ways.
Amla Capsules are Beyond Vitamin C
Amla plays a distinct role as an anti-inflammatory, helping fortify the liver, nourishing the brain, and balancing normal stomach acid levels. The amla capsules’ benefits are more than just Vitamin C. They are as follows:
- Hair health: Lustre and strength are two characteristic features people desire for their hair. You will find several shampoos formulated with amla or Amalaki capsules for organic richness.
- Detoxification: Amla capsules encourage the stimulation of Agni (digestive fire) to detoxify the body. It helps with optimal digestion and helps keep in check the unwanted substances (Ama) and provides the body with desired nutrients.
- Immunity: Amla aims at helping sustain balanced immune responses right from childhood.
- Rejuvenation: Amla’s supports your skin with natural radiance.
- Dietary fiber: With a richness of fiber, Amla provides all the benefits of dietary fibers. It supports normal bowel activity and helps in the natural elimination process.
- Overall benefits: In general, Amla or Amalaki supports skin health, cardiovascular functioning, and immune system.
The multitudinous benefits of Amla supplements at Kerala Ayurveda make it a trendy product to sell online. Several iconic formulations like Triphala, Chyawanprash, and Histantin use Amla as the main ingredient, mainly to support immunity, followed by its multiple uses. Although the products are entirely safe and promote overall wellness, we recommend that you consult your Ayurvedic doctor before taking Amalaki capsules.
Ayurvedic Herbs and their uses
Herbal formulations in Ayurveda are used to manage imbalances and also to improve general health. Ayurvedic formulations are made from herbs available in nature. These are time-tested remedies that have been used not just in its country of origin India, but across the world. Ayurveda uses herbs that are natural and do not contain any chemicals making them safer to use. They are prepared using the wisdom contained in ancient texts and tested for purity in modern laboratories.
There are many herbs used in Ayurveda, all of which have been used for thousands of years. The use of the herbs is guided by the ancient Ayurveda texts, which clearly document the accurate blend, preparation, and usage of each formulation. The entire plant is used in some cases, while in others only the fruit, stem, bark, or root is used. Most of the Ayurvedic herbs offer multiple health benefits. One of the most prominent herbs in Ayurveda is Amla or Amalaki. This is a fruit known as Indian gooseberry (Emblica officinalis).
Amla and its benefits
Amla is one of the most recommended herbal supplements for digestion in Ayurveda. Digestion is given supreme importance in Ayurveda. It leads to the development of a strong Ojas, which is the energetic substance that promotes vigor and vitality. A strong Ojas empowers the immune system, allowing the body to naturally fight diseases. Regular consumption of amla helps in strengthening Ojas, thus acting as an immune booster. When a person has digestive problems, it weakens Ojas, thereby weakening the immune system. This makes the person susceptible to illnesses.
Amla can be eaten as a fruit. It is also used to make jams and other formulations like Amalaki capsules that can be used as a dietary supplement to improve health.
Amla capsules benefits
- Rejuvenating properties – Amla is rich in antioxidants that help the body to fight free radicals, which has made it the most renowned rejuvenating ingredient with anti-aging properties.
- Children’s Health – Amla capsules can be immunity-boosting supplements for toddlers. Children will benefit from this supplement since it strengthens the immune system right from childhood.
- Hair Health – Amla capsules for hair health help in promoting hair that is lustrous and strong. It is also known to prevent hair loss. The amla capsules benefits for hair make it a vital ingredient in the formulation of organic shampoos.
- Detoxifying – Amla acts as a detoxifier. It strengthens the digestive fire in the body (known in Ayurveda as Agni). The digestive fire helps in optimal digestion, which in turn removes toxins and provides the body with the nutrients needed.
- Blood Sugar Balance – Amla has a very powerful benefit for the body since it helps in controlling blood sugar levels. Since it improves digestion, it also helps in proper assimilation of blood sugar.
- Vitamin C – With each fruit containing up to 600-700 mg of Vitamin C, Amla is the second richest natural source of the vitamin.
- Fiber – Amla is rich in fiber. It helps in ensuring the smooth functioning of the digestive system. This can be very helpful in solving the problem of constipation.
- Acid Balance – Amla is also used to balance acidity and ulcer-related issues.
- Skin – Amla products are used to improve skin health.
- Anti-inflammatory – Amla has anti-inflammatory properties. It fights inflammation and strengthens the body.
Amla products for wellness
The Ayurvedic approach to wellness recommends the use of formulations containing herbs like amla to improve overall health. It is not a supplement that has to be taken only if one is ill, but can even be taken regularly to prevent illness. The multivarious benefits of Amalaki capsules make it a powerful immune booster, which is why it is recommended to be taken regularly. The capsules can be taken daily or as recommended by your health practitioner.
Amla is used in a powerful Ayurvedic formulation called Triphala. This contains three key ingredients Amla, Haritaki, and Bibhiktaki. This formulation helps in rejuvenating both mind and body.
Amla is used to make Chyawanprash. This is one of the most popular Ayurvedic supplements. Chywanprash is an Ayurvedic product that promotes good health, digestion, improves immunity, purifies blood, reduces blood pressure, and helps improve concentration. It is a rejuvenating health tonic.
Another wellness product that uses Amalaki is Histantin. This tablet helps to boost the working of the immune system. It is also helpful in improving respiratory health and can help those suffering from allergy and related problems during seasonal changes.
Amla – the superfruit
Considering all the benefits detailed above, it is no wonder that Amla is considered a “superfruit” that promotes the overall wellbeing of an individual. Choose from a varied list of Ayurvedic Amla products from the Kerala Ayurveda store and start your journey towards holistic wellness.
Q1. Will I get the benefits of Amla if I consume Chyawanprash everyday?
A1. Chyawanprash contains Amla, along with a number of other ingredients and herbs. While it is certainly beneficial to consume Chyawanprash, you can also directly consume Amla supplements to get the complete benefits of this powerful fruit.
Q2. Is Amla acidic or alkaline?
A2. Indian gooseberry, or Amla, is alkaline in nature. So, regular consumption of the fruit can help promote gut health and balance the stomach acids. This is why people with acidity usually consume Amla supplements.
Q3. Why is it not advisable to eat Amla at night?
A3. It’s best to eat Amla during the daytime. Avoid eating it at night because it could cause a cold or cough, especially when eaten in excess.
Q4. Who should not consume Amla?
A4. If you are pregnant, lactating, or have any serious health concerns, you should only consume Amla after consulting your Ayurvedic doctor.
Q5. Does Amla help increase immunity?
A5. Amla is a natural source of vitamin C, and can, thus, help maintain your immune system and promote its normal functioning. But, it’s important to consume the fruit in its raw form or in the form of supplements regularly to get these benefits.
Q6. Can people with high BP take Amla?
A6. Yes, people with high BP can take Amla supplements to maintain their normal blood sugar levels. But, it is advisable that you consult an Ayurvedic doctor to know the exact dosage.
Q7. Is it good to eat gooseberry daily?
A7. It is recommended to consume gooseberries regularly or in the form of supplements as per the doctor’s advice. Ayurveda recommends you keep your body in optimum condition to avoid diseases, rather than cure them. That means taking preventative measures like using Ayurvedic supplements regularly. Kerala Ayurveda makes these supplements containing Indian gooseberry, a powerful immune booster, so you can get your hands on authentic Amalaki capsules through the Kerala Ayurveda online store.