What is Arishtam?
Arishtams (also called Arishtas) are Ayurvedic supplements that are prepared by boiling herbal extracts in water, after which the decoction is fermented. Arishtam is also known as Ayurvedic herbal wine. You will be surprised to know the manifold benefits Arishtam can provide for your holistic well-being.
In Ayurveda, it is believed that the process of fermenting some specific herbs increases the therapeutic properties of the herbs, as it helps in extracting both the alcohol and water-soluble properties of herbs. What sets Kerala Ayurveda’s Arishtam apart is that the formulation is made using quality fermentation initiators in traditional cedar wood vats.
Many people use the terms Arishtas and Asavas interchangeably, but they’re two different products that are prepared differently. Arishtams are made by boiling dried herbs in water. The liquid herbal extract is then fermented with either honey, jaggery, or sugar. Asavas, in contrast, are made by decoction of fresh herbs in either cold or lukewarm water and then fermenting the liquid herb concoction.
Arishtas and Asavas have been used since Vedic times because they offer several benefits like aiding your body with normal digestion and more. Further, unlike many other alternative therapy formulas, Arishtams and Asavas have a long shelf life of up to 10 years.
How is Arishtam Fermented?
Natural fermenting agents like Dhataki flower- Woodfordia fruticosa or Madhuka-Madhuca longifolia play a crucial role in the making of liquid herbal supplements – Arishtas and Asavas along with some sources of sugar.
Typically, Ayurvedic practitioners will also add a few herbs to this fermenting liquid. These herbs regulate the speed of fermentation. The fermenting liquid is then transferred to a vat and kept undisturbed for a period between 2 and 9 weeks. During this period, the fermenting agent breaks down the sugar molecules and converts them into alcohol. The final formula contains both alcohol and water-soluble extract of the herbs, with a longer shelf life and a pleasing taste.
Uses and benefits of Arishtam
Arishtams have several benefits. Some of these include:
- After fermenting, the benefits of the liquid herbal extracts are since they contain both alcohol and water-soluble properties of the herbs.
- Arishtams are more potent compared to non-fermented herbal
- Arishtams help support the normal digestive process.
- They help support healthy skin and body.
- These liquids aid the natural elimination process in the body.
Therapeutic Uses Of Arishtams
Arishtams To Support Cardiac Function
The primary component of Arishtams is well-known for supporting cardiac effectiveness. It helps maintain the heart muscles, helps keep a check on plaque deposition in the blood vessels, and also helps maintain healthy arteries. Additionally, it plays a critical function in supporting normal cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the body.
Arishtams for Helping Maintain Healthy Kidneys
The conventional formulation aids in maintaining normal uric acid levels in the kidneys, thereby avoiding gout. Additionally, it supports normal blood sugar levels and adequate urination.
Arishtams Aiding the Respiratory System
It is highly efficient to help optimize the Kapha Dosha. This tonic, infused with aromatic herbs, is ideal to support a healthy respiratory system. Additionally, it aids in keeping the respiratory tract naturally clear. Consumption of this tonic helps maintain the natural strength of the lung tissues and promotes lung health.
Arishtam is a sacred herbal treatment endowed with a plethora of health advantages. It is critical in supporting heart health. If taken at the recommended dosage, one can avoid adverse effects and reap numerous health benefits.
What Can Arishtams Help With
As mentioned earlier, Arishtams are Ayurvedic supplements prepared using herbal extracts boiled in water, and then the decoction is fermented. For more information, here’s a list of some of the popularly used, useful arishtas.
- Abhayarishta helps improve digestion and may help cure constipation and haemorrhoids.
- Amritarishta can help treat fever, malaria, and indigestion.
- Ashokarishta can help treat menstrual concerns.
- Ayaskrithy may help manage diabetes and other related health concerns.
- Balarishta can be effective for rheumatic concerns.
- Dasamoolarishta may act as a cure for general debilities, urinary concerns, gastric conditions, nausea, taste loss, paleness, ascites which refers to the swelling caused by fluid build-up in the abdomen. Additionally, it may also help manage tuberculosis and severe cough.
- Jeerakarishtam may be able to improve and manage postnatal concerns, cough, tuberculosis, aphonia (inability to speak) and dyspnoea (heavy and labored breathing).
- Kutajarishta may act as a medicine for diarrhoea with blood and mucus discharge and bleeding haemorrhoids.
- Vasarishta can be considered suitable for the treatment of asthma, dyspnoea, haematemesis, and aphonia.
Why Choose Kerala Ayurveda?
Kerala Ayurveda’s Arishtams brings to you the goodness of Ayurveda in a fermented liquid form. The Arishtam formula is exclusively fermented in cedar wood vats, with Dhataki flowers, a natural fermentation initiator. Below are some of the most popular Arishtams by Kerala Ayurveda you’ll find on our website:
- Abhayarishtam helps maintain the optimal level of Vata Dosha and aids in normal digestion.
- Amrutharishtam helps sustain the optimal levels of the three Doshas. It helps in the normal expression of the immune system and clears Ama or metabolic wastes.
- Dasamoolarishtam supports normal digestion and healthy functioning of the heart.
- Dasamoola Jeerakarishtam helps to maintain normal digestion, especially during the postpartum period.
Draksharishta supports natural blood purification. It also helps aid normal respiratory functioning.